On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 07:47:15AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron
collision of the <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Murry wrote:
>
> > At the end of MAKE, there are 59 linesthat look like this.
> >
> > map_tif.c xxx: error xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > The three x's before "error" are numbers, and the x's after error appear to
> > be an explanation of the error.
>
> Try:
>
>      ./configure --without-geotiff
>      make

If you installed libgeotiff with Synaptic (instead of via source as the
wiki page tells you to do),  you will find that the person who put together
the Synaptic package made the geotiff headers install in a non-standard
place (/usr/include/geotiff/ instead of /usr/include).  Xastir doesn't
look for geotiff headers there, but *does* detect the presence of libgeotiff.a

This causes a build failure in map_tif.c instead of a configure failure.

In order to work around this, you have to add an additional configure option
to add a compiler flag.  If you do:

/path/to/configure CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff"

(where /path/to/configure is the directory where configure lives, sometimes
  "./configure" depending on how you build)

and re-issue the "make" command, then you'll find that map_tif.c doesn't give
that error message again.

 "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."  -- R. Bach