There appeared to be a bit of interest among Windows and OSX users
at the NWAPRS Summer Gathering this weekend.  VMWare Appliances were
the way most of those installs got accomplished.

I tried to help with source installs on OSX using MacPorts, but ran
into a lot of trouble.  I believe Xastir's "configure" was set up
earlier to handle Fink packages ("/sw" directory), but not MacPorts
("/opt/local" directory).

This looks to be the proper setup for Fink:

http://www.finkproject.org/faq/usage-general.php?phpLang=en#compile-myself

Which says:

 "export CFLAGS=-I/sw/include
  export LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib
  export CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS
  export CPPFLAGS=$CXXFLAGS
  export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /sw/share/aclocal"
  export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/sw/lib/pkgconfig"
  export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4

  (assuming that the build system is running OS 10.4 or later)

  It is often easiest just to add these to your startup files (e.g.
  .cshrc | .profile) so they are set automatically. If a package does
  not use these variables, you may need to add the "-I/sw/include"
  (for headers) and "-L/sw/lib" (for libraries) to the compile lines
  yourself. Some packages may use similar non-standard variables such
  as EXTRA_CFLAGS or --with-qt-dir= configure options. "./configure
  --help" will usually give you a list of the extra configure
  options."

I can't find an equivalent set of instructions for MacPorts.  Here's
the kind of stuff I started to work on which didn't work for several
of the libraries:

  ./configure --with-motif-libs=/usr/openmotif/lib
  --with-motif-includes=/usr/openmotif/include/Xm

--includedir=/opt/local/var/macports/software/libgeotiff/1.2.1_0/opt/local/include
  --includedir=/opt/local/var/macports/software/proj/4.6.0_0/opt/local/include

--with-bdb-incdir=/opt/local/var/macports/software/db46/4.6.21_1/opt/local/include/db46
  --libdir=/opt/local/var/macports/software/libgeotiff/1.2.1_0/opt/local/lib
  --libdir=/opt/local/var/macports/software/proj/4.6.0_0/opt/local/lib

--with-bdb-libdir=/opt/local/var/macports/software/db46/4.6.21_1/opt/local/lib/db46

I wasn't real happy that most of the libraries installed via
MacPorts were that many levels down _and_ had version numbers in the
directory names.  How are other pieces of software supposed to be
able to find them?  Perhaps they also got installed into

    /opt/local/lib/
and
    /opt/local/include/

and I was just spinning my wheels trying to enumerate all of the
above directories?  Perhaps the MacPorts packages for the libraries
we installed were done incorrectly?

As I recall these flags worked for us:

  --with-motif-libs=/usr/openmotif/lib
  --with-motif-includes=/usr/openmotif/include/Xm

--with-bdb-incdir=/opt/local/var/macports/software/db46/4.6.21_1/opt/local/include/db46

--with-bdb-libdir=/opt/local/var/macports/software/db46/4.6.21_1/opt/local/lib/db46

"./configure -h" shows flags to specify the paths for X, Motif, and
Berkeley DB (BDB), but not for any of the other libraries.

Here's what I'd _like_ to have happen:

*) Fink installs go into /sw/lib and /sw/include and not further
   below!
*) MacPorts installs go into /opt/local/lib and /opt/local/include
   and not further below!
*) Xastir's autoconf gets modified to handle the first two above.
*) Xastir's autoconf gets modified to add path flags for the other
   libraries (and perhaps executables that we use).

With a small amount of work by us the OSX people could also have an
easy source install of Xastir.

--
Curt, WE7U.                             archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer