On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Jim Morgan wrote:

1) Take one "Harv's Ham Shack" Knoppix disc that a friend burns
for you and insert into the CD drive of your computer which only
has 64MB of RAM on a 5GB hard drive.

9) Voila! The Fluxbuntu serial port issues are gone!

I know this is the coward's way out but the Fluxbuntu group can't
believe that there is a problem with the serial ports and even
though the Xastir is just a v.1.4.1 it works and works very well
on the old computer when it is in Fluxbox. NOTE that it works in
KDE but it is unmercifully slow.

It's not a coward's way out...  It's whatever works!  I'd sure like
to know what the solution was to your original configuration though.

FWIW:  I have a P133 truck-mount touch-screen system that has a
6.4GB hard drive and I think 64MB of memory.  I put an earlier
version of SuSE on there with a custom kernel tweak to make it work.
Ran fine with topo maps or Tiger Shapefiles in my Jeep.  I filled up
the drive with maps pretty quickly though.

--
Curt, WE7U.                             archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer