On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 09:54 -0600, Tom Russo wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 09:30:01AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron
> collision of the <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> flavor, containing:
> > Converting Digital Elevation Models To Shapefile/DXF Contours
> > Published at December 20, 2007 in DEM, GIS and Garmin.
> >

> > http://freegeographytools.com/2007/converting-digital-elevation-models-to-shapefiledxf-contours
> >
> > <https://webmail2.centurytel.net/hwebmail/services/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffreegeographytools.com%2F2007%2Fconverting-digital-elevation-models-to-shapefiledxf-contours>
> >
> > I had a note from Curt in July, 2007, that Xastir doesn't support DEM file
> > format.  But if these were converted to shapefiles, should I be able to use
> > them?
>
> Yes.
>
> There are plenty of tools to do this, including "gdal_contour" (a part of the
> GDAL suite).

First, DEM is not a file format.  DEMs can be represented in numerous
formats (shp, tiff, etc).

The GDAL tools are very simplistic, but they'll get the basic job done.
If you want an accurate representation of the DEM, I would recommend
getting familiar with GRASS GIS.  At a minimum, you'll learn how to
correctly deal with different/conflicting datum/projections.

I put together a tutorial on this some time ago that was geared towards
Xastir users.  Should still be somewhere on the GRASS site.

--
73, de Brad KB8UYR/6 <rez touchofmadness com>