Hi Everyone,

I can't emphasize how much of a novice I am at this and it's probably a very
beginner question.   I'm a new ham AND a new packet user.   I'm trying to
receive and display APRS data.  The platform is Ubuntu (hoary) and I'm
running Xastir 1.9.0.   I'm also using soundmodem 0.10.

First I configured soundmodem as MKISS.   I started it and it created
interface sm0.  I went into interface control and I think the right type is
"ax25 tnc".  There is no device /dev/sm0 but since there is an interface sm0
I just entered that for the device name.   I got "hard fail" when I tried to
bring it up".

Then I realized (quite by accident) that if I configured soundmodem as KISS,
then I get an actual /dev/soundmodem0 device.   So I selected "Serial KISS
TNC", and entered /dev/soundmodem0, but again got a hard failure.

Can anyone guide me through configuring xastir and soundmodem?   All help
appreciated!

Regards,

Gary Huntress
KB1QOJ