Hi,

I had the same problem.  My solution was to check and change the
permissions on the file that 'soundmodem0' points to.

IIRC /dev/soundmodem0 is a link to /dev/pts/<something>.  If you type ls
-l /dev/soundmodem0 you will see where it points.  As root, change the
permissions on the file pointed to to allow rw access.

Sorry I cannot be more specific, the laptop I was doing this on is packed
away.  Obviously an automated solution is required, especially as the
/dev/pts/xxx device is not always the same one.

HTH,

73,

Andrew