HI xCAT users,

In year 2014, we have been experiencing the network access problems to
sourceforge quite a bit, even when there is no network access problems, the
network speed is also very slow, it dramatically slows down our development
and testing progress, and also make us wondering about the stability of
sourceforge in the future, so the xCAT development team spent some time to
investigate the feasibility of migrating xCAT from sourceforge to github.
Here are the findings:

1. Code repositories

It is easy to mirror the sourceforge code repositories to github using the
git CLI. The example of mirroring xcat-core from sourceforge to github:
    git clone --bare --mirror ssh://l...@git.code.sf.net/p/xcat/xcat-core
github-mirror-xcat-core
    cd github-mirror-xcat-core
    git remote add github g...@github.com:xcat2/xcat-core.git
    git config remote.github.mirror true
    git push github
See https://github.com/xcat2

2. Wiki pages

Both sourceforge and github uses markdown syntax, migrating the wiki pages
from sourceforge to github is not that difficult, we could simply get the
markdown files through sourceforge APIs and then use git CLI to push the
markdown files to github. However, there are still some markdown syntax
differences we need to deal with, like github markdown does not support
transclude and TOC. You could take a look at
https://github.com/xcat2/xcat-core/wiki to get some feeling about how does
it look like

3. Bug tracking

Github has its own bug tracking system, we could write some simple scripts
to copy the existing sourceforge bugs to github, see
https://github.com/xcat2/xcat-core/issues for more details.

4. Binaries hosting

github supports binary host but does not support Yum online repository
hosting, it means we will not be able to use the online yum repository to
update xCAT. An alternative is to put the RPMs into a github code
repository, the user could use git clone and git pull to keep the RPMs up
to date locally(yum seems not be able to fetch RPMs from github code repo),
then points the yum repository to the local git repo. See
https://github.com/xcat2/xcat-core/releases and
https://github.com/xcat2/xcat-core-bin and
https://github.com/xcat2/xcat-dep-bin

5. Mailing list

Github does not support mailing list, we could keep the mailing list on
sourceforge.

Migrating to github has pros and cons:

Pros:
1) the network access speed to github seems to be much better than
sourceforge
2) the github is more popular
3) github uses code repository to manage the wiki pages, it makes things
easier for local editings and global editings
4) github has REST-APIs everywhere

Cons:
1) github does not have mailing list
2) github does not support hosting online yum repositories
3) github limits the repository size to be 1GB and file size to be 100MB
4) github wiki does not support transclude and TOC, printing xCAT docs will
be a little bit more difficult
5) emails notification for the code,wiki,bugs updates needs more complex
configuration

Any comment, suggestion, concern or objection for moving xCAT from
sourceforge to github will be appreciated.

 Li,Guang Cheng (李光成)
 IBM China System Technology Laboratory
 Email: ligua...@cn.ibm.com
 Address: Building 28, ZhongGuanCun Software Park,
          No.8, Dong Bei Wang West Road, Haidian District Beijing 100193,
PRC

北京市海淀区东北旺西路8号中关村软件园28号楼
邮编: 100193