I think because I ran the 'osdeploy initialize -i' with just 'sudo' it
didn't exit cleanly and I just ignored it, which means it wasn't really
completely setup properly from the beginning.  I'm used to sudo being a
go/no-go situation, not a partial success.  So had I run it with sudo -i or
maybe sudo sh -c 'blah ...' or something, that would have worked.  Once I
reran it as root the exit was clean, and the selfcheck also exited
cleanly.  Lesson learned.  Thanks for the quick response, I'm looking
forward to the next steps of configuration with Ansible (as opposed to
postscripts).

Brian Joiner