Benedikt Meurer wrote:
Erlend Davidson wrote:
Nautilus thumbnailing appears to be quite slow, compared to
thumbnailing of pictures in windows.

Wouldn't it peform better if thumbnailing didn't require to launch a
program for each single image (using something similar to what fcgi
does for web pages or something ?)
2.4GHz P4... 7 seconds in Thunar to thumbnail 42 jpgs.  Total filesize
around 40MB.

Can someone do a similar test on Windows?

Windows Explorer was noticeably faster than Thunar and Nautilus. I've
tested that some time ago with a large image folder (don't remember the
numbers).

But this is definitely not a problem with launching a separate
application, since both Thunar and Nautilus handle JPEG thumbnailing
internally. Maybe it's libjpeg being slower than the Windows equivalent.
Can you try convert (i.e. imlib) against libjpeg?
ImageMagick does seem to be very quick.
Maybe the I/O throughput on Windows is better. Maybe the FAT subsystem
on Windows is generally faster than on FreeBSD/Linux. Dunno.

Benedikt