Stanislav Brabec wrote:
0. Try to embed thumbnail into the file, which supports it, if user
   explicitly wants it.

1. Try to use xattr or resources, if file system supports it and it
   allows large enough data (may fail often)

2. Try dotted local directory (may fail on FAT)

Once again, this is a terrible idea. It's where Microsoft got it wrong with the hidden Thumbs.db. Extremely awkward when copying directories around. There should never be any extra baggage around my files.

It is already hugely annoying that "deleting" a file on my camera in Nautilus moves it to some hidden Trash directory on the memory card.

3. Try another specified directory (may fail on read only)

4. Fall back to global user cache in ~/.thumbnails

--Pat