On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:51:54 -0800, Alexander Larsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'd prefer to remove the config file to remove functionality. This
would make it easier for scripts to detect with [ -f ]. If config
file exist specific directories could be disabled by commenting them
out (not specifying them).

I'm not sure what you mean. The config file is read by the program run
on login that creates/updates directories. Nothing else should really
read it. Why would they want to do that anyway? For instance, the users
~/.config/user-dirs.dirs file might be totally manually written and not
generated from the config at all.

Right, the [ -f ] should never be neeeded, but if root needs to do some
manteinance on a home dir by any chance, this make it easier.

I am thinking that the default user config file should read the /etc version to take the defaults if the user hasn't decided to tweak them. The file could be
easily provided by /etc/skel. Functionality would be as simple as removing
the config file. (Read: opt-in approach, with everybody opted-in by default).

--
Octavio.