On 02/05/2023 8:17 am, Jan Beulich wrote:
> The hook being able to deny access to data for certain domains means
> that no caller can assume to have a system-wide picture when holding the
> results.
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to permit the function to merely "count" domains?
> While racy in general (including in its present, "normal" mode of
> operation), within a tool stack this could be used as long as creation
> of new domains is suppressed between obtaining the count and then using
> it.

This would not be the first example of the XSM hooks being tantamount to
useless.  I doubt it will be the last either.

With the rest of Alejandro's series in place, all requests for a single
domid's worth of info use the domctl, and all requests for all domains
use the systctl.

As a result, we can retrofit some sanity and change the meaning of the
XSM hook here for the sysctl, to mean "can see a systemwide view" (or
not).  This moves the check out of the loop, and fixes the behaviour.

~Andrew