On 2011-09-27 14:01, Richard Cochran wrote:
> Again, every MAC driver needs to be tastefully and wisely adapted. I
> don't necessarily need to avoid coalescing. The goal (for me) is *not*
> to provide deterministic Ethernet performance. Instead the RT packets
> should just be delivered ASAP.

This is obviously the point I completely missed. And it makes the whole
thing fairly uninteresting IMHO. If you want to do Ethercat, PowerLink
or Profinet (RT), you do need a certain level of determinism along the
*whole* packet path. And for the latter two, you definitely need RT IRQ
support, Ethercat can be OK to poll in fast setups.

>From that POV, your approach is likely OK. But I doubt its of generic
use, specifically for industrial RT Ethernet.

Jan

PS: You do have a stack, even if you don't like it: driver, packet
layer, application. :)