I have now installed the i-pipe tracer and run some tests. Yesterday I thought
I had gotten a high latency without X running, while compiling the kernel to
stress the system, but now I think I might have been mistaken. Either way I was
using a kernel whose configuration I couldn't remember, and didn't have the
I-Pipe tracer installed at that time, so the observation wasn't particularly
useful.

Today I have tried using the intel video driver with the option "NoAccel", and
that seems to stop the high latencies; with this option I can kill X, restart
it, and run glxgears without issues, all while compiling the linux kernel and
having xeno-test or latency running. The highest latency I have gotten so far
is 18uS.

However, if anyone is interested I have made a trace without the NoAccel
option, when the latency jumped to 1113uS upon starting X, attached.

A couple of other things:

Yesterday when running xeno-test, I got a few of these messages:
   "INFO: task sync:20539 blocked for more than 120 seconds...."
I have not seen this again today, and I don't know if it could be related, but
I was also getting lots of strange USB disconnect sort of messages yesterday...
I haven't seen any more today, and as I said before that kernel may have been
useless anyway.

I am also getting this message from xeno-test:
   "FATAL: module xeno-nucleus not found"

And:
   "Warning Linux is compiled to use FPU in kernel space
    For this reason, switch test can not test using FPU in Linux Kernel-space"

I presume these last two are because I did something wrong at kernel compile
time?

Also, I tried to compile Xenomai 2.5.4 with a 2.6.34 kernel because it has a
network driver that I really need, but the build failed. I think this has been
resolved previously (as I have seen some information in the mailing list about
a problem in the debian kernel patch script), but am not sure how to use the
corrected script with my system. Can anyone help?

I will keep testing.

Thanks,

Edward