Perhaps it fundamentally is a stylesheet problem:  IE displays the XML that it
receives using a stylesheet (that's how you get all the fancy colours and
indenting etc).  It could be that the default stylesheet that IE is using (from
the MS install) is broken in this respect for XHTML.  I suspect tho that you
may need to declare the XHTML namespace in your document - but I can't say what
the correct syntax for this is.

Pete