There is some overhead in simply instantiating a parser, though it's not
huge. Last time I did timings to this effect, I think I got something like
100ms just to instantiate the parser, that being on a somewhat aging PC,
and several versions back of Xerces.

|         |           "Jeff Greif"      |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           nceton.edu>       |
|         |           03/21/2003 03:35  |
|         |           PM                |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           xerces-j-user     |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                               |
  |       cc:
                                          |
  |       Subject:  Re: reusing parsers

Actually, if you look at the CachingParserPool source code (at least in
2.2.1), you find that it's not parsers that are reused, but the symbol
table
and grammar pool, I think.  But parsers suppposedly can be reused and I'm
trying to find out if it's worth the trouble.

Jeff