Hi Jeff,

Just to let you know:  Although the CachingParserPool has existed for a
long time, to my knowledge no one has ever tried to make sure it does what
it's advertised to do.  In fact, you're one of the first people I've heard
of who's reported looking into it.  That is to say:  it might not be the
best place to look for performance hints.

If I were you, I'd try and reuse parsers; they tend to be pretty big
complex objects, and I would imagine resetting them is cheaper than new'ing
them.  But I could be wrong:   I haven't done much work centring on parser
performance.

Cheers!
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

|         |           "Jeff Greif"      |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           nceton.edu>       |
|         |           03/21/2003 03:35  |
|         |           PM                |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           xerces-j-user     |

  |       To:       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                                     |
  |       cc:
                                                                |
  |       Subject:  Re: reusing parsers

Actually, if you look at the CachingParserPool source code (at least in
2.2.1), you find that it's not parsers that are reused, but the symbol
table
and grammar pool, I think.  But parsers suppposedly can be reused and I'm
trying to find out if it's worth the trouble.

Jeff