This feature works well when schemas and sub-schemas are on disk. However, our application calls for loading schemas and sub-schemas from an XML/RPC server, meaning that the schemas reach the client as text.

In my initial test, I have a master schema and one sub-schema. If I load the master (top level) schema first, XERCES complains it can't find the included sub-schema. If I load the sub-schema first, I find that the master schema is not loaded.

Please note that the sub-schema does not have a TargetNameSpace, but the master does. This appears to be relevant, because in tracing the code, XSGrammarBucket's getGrammar() returns fNoNSGrammar for the master schema.