Hi Greg,

The transformer he references in the article is basically any XSL processor.
Specifically, Apache Xalan works. I was able to run most steps in his
article against his example schemas using Xalan. However, when I ran the
scheme against my own (more complicated) schemas, the process failed, for
reasons listed in my original e-mail. I think that this is why the authors
say they are describing a concept - because to be useful in a real-world
context, the XSLT scripts in their article will need enhancement.

My feeling is that this approach to generating forms from schemas probably
is possible, but I decided not to continue with this approach for my own
application. My thinking is that generalizing the XSLT approach to handle
remote complex type definitions and imports (and possibly other complexities
that I have not yet stumbled upon) would be too much effort. (The schemas I
have to deal with are fairly complex). However, if you have fairly simple
schemas, the XSLT scripts from the article may work as-is, or with minimal
enhancement.

As far as getting started with XSLT and schemas, I would suggest reading the
O'reilly books on the subject, and also using the W3C website. The
application described in the articles is fairly advanced for a first XSLT
project. However, on the flip side, when you get done, you will definitely
know Schemas and XSLT! I think the most confusing aspect of the approach is
that they are using an XSL transformation to convert a schema into an XSLT
file. Then, they use this generated XSLT file to convert an XML file into an
HTML form (in one case) or another XML file (in the other case). Confusing,
but once you get your head around it, it is a pretty slick concept.

Also, consider contacting the authors of the article, or posting to the
xml.com forum associated with the article. Perhaps someone has already
generalized the XSL scripts to handle more complex schemas.

Please let me know how you end up solving your problem; I am interested in
this topic as well, although I'm currently working on something else.

Regards,
Gordon

P.S. - Here is a product called schema-forms that may do what you want. I
did not really evaluate the product, so I am kind of vague as to exactly
what it does. I don't know anything about the company either. Their head
technical guy, KK Aw, seems pretty helpful though; he responded to a couple
of my e-mails. You can get an evaluation copy from their web site.

http://www.multicentric.com/wapi/mctxwapi.dll/getObject?mid=MCT&ObjID=32