Apologies,

        I really should learn to read the question all the way down.

Regards,

Gareth

Michael Glavassevich wrote:
Also, its unnecessary and not possible to declare [1][2] namespace declarations.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#Attribute_Declaration_details
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#no-xmlns

Gareth Reakes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 04/18/2005 12:51:27 PM:

Hi,

Sorry, I may not have made myself clear. Take a closer look at the namespace name:

http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance

Notice the end piece XMLSchema-instance. Attributes in this namespace are defined as part of the schema specs and you therefore do not have to

specify them in your schema. I suppose the rule is that attributes in that namespace do not have to be declared in the schema document.

Cheers,

Gareth

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Yes, thanks, i understand what they are used for, my question was,how

to we

know not to describe them in the schema file?

Do we ignore all namespace declarations?

But surely most qualified items are defined? So how come
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="foo.xsd"
isn't?

If this is just memorization, what is the list? if this is

applying a rule, what

is the rule?

Quoting gareth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi,

  The xsi is short for

http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance

and the varoious attribrutes are defined by the specification. Take a

look

at

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/

Cheers,

Gareth

Dave Brosius wrote:

There are a few nodes that are never represented in a schema

definition,

and

xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="foo.xsd"

are two that come to mind.

The question is, how do we humans know this? Did we memorize some

list

of nodes, or did we learn
some rule to apply?

--
Gareth Reakes, Managing Director      Parthenon Computing
+44-1865-811184              http://blog.parthcomp.com/xerces

-- Gareth Reakes, Managing Director Parthenon Computing +44-1865-811184 http://blog.parthcomp.com/xerces

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development