On 9/26/2010 9:56 AM, Axel Kielhorn wrote:

Is the compose feature you mention the same as dead keys?
No. I have read that on some Linux systems one can type a vowel, press a "compose" key, and then an accent mark, the result is the vowel with accent. I myself don't use Linux, so I'm sure the many Linux folks here will correct me if I've got that wrong. A deadkey inserts the accent (sometimes without showing any visual indicator); the accent then appears over the following letter.

On a Mac I can type \texttt{option-u u} to get an ü
Mac OS has the best systemwide support for non-English characters, and has for a long time. Windows provides only a very awkward ALT key method that requires typing decimal or hex numbers.

David