> No.  I have read that on some Linux systems one can type a vowel, press
> a "compose" key, and then an accent mark, the result is the vowel with
> accent.

  The actual order is Compose, accent, vowel (or consonant, for that
matter).  The "accent" here is usually an approximative ASCII equivalent
to the real accent mark: for example, Sun keyboards (that actually have
a key labelled "Compose") used to use a single quote to input an acute
accent, inverted quote for a grave accent, etc.

        Arthur