Am 30.09.2010 um 12:27 schrieb Keith J. Schultz:

> The same should be true of xelshort. It should:

I find your list very useful, but it seems to focus more on the differences
between XeLaTeX and pdfLaTeX. What I have in mind is a document that should be
readable for beginners who have never used anything LaTeX-like before. I've
added a few comments on how the list could be updated to reflect this:

>       1 Introduce Unicode from a users point of view
>       2 Introduce fonts from the users point of view
>               - different types
>               - unicode fonts
>                       - what glyphs are
>                       - glyph repertoire (roughly)
>                       - it should not describe unicode features that is font
> fontspec
>               - advantages of using unicode fonts
>                      - especially for input (more WYSIWYG like)

Well the advantage is "with Unicode, you can use every character everywhere;
without, you can't." Because Unicode is so ubiquitous nowadays, more than a few
readers might be surprised that a pre-Unicode world existed...

>       3 Introduce editors/systems from a users point of view

- introduce the terms "engine", "format" and "distribution"
- difference between engines and executable programs

>               - what TexLive is

...and MikTeX!

>               - advice on editors
>                       - why is the choice of an editor/system is important

I don't get this. Of course you have to choose one, but you can switch at any
time.

>                       - suggest TeXWorks/TeXShop as starting point
>                       - advice of what is out there for the linux world
>                             mention that there is E-macs et. al also for
>                             Windows/Mac

Don't know if that is so important. If you start talking about specific
editors, then everybody wants his preferred editor described.

>       4 Simple Example Xe(La)TeX document
>               - explain preamble
>                       - class
>                       - why fonspec et. al.

Why Fontspec: Because you need it to use the key feature of XeTeX, i.e.,
accessing system fonts.

>                       - why polyglossia
>                               - why not use babel

Unless you want to point out the differences between pdfLaTeX and XeLaTeX,
don't mention babel.