On Oct 21, 2010, at 20:53, Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutena...@normalesup.org>
wrote:
>   Actually, it's both.  U+2019 is really supposed to be used as a "curly"
> apostrophe as well as a closing quotation mark.  The name is RIGHT SINGLE
> QUOTATION MARK, by the way.

  And instead of "closing," I really should have written "one of a pair of
quotation marks, that happens to be used for closing quotations in some
languages, for instance English."  It's not necessarily true of all languages,
that can use different pairs of quotation marks, including mixtures of low and
high marks (e.g., German, Polish).  This is why curly quotation marks are not
labelled as "closing" and "opening," but instead as "left" or "right", as
opposed to other paired symbols, like for instance parentheses.  This also has
incidence on languages written from right to left, as Jonathan should well
remember ;-)

    Arthur