Well, I've got some sample files attached for the change of behavior. If you comment both \input files, then you'll get footnote refs to match the \setmainfont options (in this case, Numbers={OldStyle, Proportional}).

If you load one or the other input file, you'll see the differences. Linux Libertine ships with TL10, I believe, and has the required sups feature to see the results.

The default behavior of XeTeX previous to TL10, AFAIK, was to use the footnote ref numbers as if using the [VerticalPosition=Superior] option. But no longer! So, the result now (with these input files) is that it's working for me as it used to word and as desired ... but I don't know what was done by default before --- I never used to specify anything via fontspec for the footnote refs --- and I don't know why it's been changed.

Has anyone else noticed this and desired the older way? If so, this is your solution ... unless there's another way...?

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma

Most Holy Trinity Monastery