> And another nasty issue (that might deserve its own thread). We wanted
> to have no hyphenchar at all, but using \hyphenchar\font=0 has a nasty
> consequence that lines with broken words are not properly justified
> (some extra space is squeezed between the last character in line and
> the non-existent hyphen char).

  Actually, what we've observed is that XeTeX seems to produce a glyph
in the output even if we set \hyphenchar to a character for which there
is no glyph in the current font.  In the attached example, the fourth
line from the end ends in a word that has been hyphenated, and the
trailing white space can actually be copy-pasted from the PDF file and
yields Unicode character U+FFFF (oddly enough).

        Arthur
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setmainlanguage{english}
\setotherlanguage{amharic}
\newfontfamily\amharicfont[Script = Ethiopic, Scale = 1.3]{Abyssinica SIL}

\XeTeXlinebreaklocale "en"
\XeTeXlinebreakskip 0pt plus 5em

\begin{document}
\title{Sample in Gǝ`ǝz}
\maketitle

\hsize=8cm

\begin{amharic}

\hyphenchar\font=0
እስመ፡አግዚአብሔር፡አምላክ፡ማእምር፡ውእቱ።እግዚአብሔር፡አስተደወ፡መንብሮ።ወአድከመ፡ቅሥተ፡ኀያላን።ወአቅነቶሙ፡ኀይለ፡ለድኩማን።ጽጉማን፡እክል፡ርኅቡ።ወርኁባን፡ጸግቡ።እስመ፡መካን፡ወለደት፡ሰብዐተ፡ወወለድሰ፡ስእነት፡ወሊደ፡እግዚአብሔር፡ይቀትል፡ወየሐዩ።ያወርድኒ፡ውስተ፡ሲእል፡ወየዐርግ።እግዚአብሔር፡ያነዲ፡ወያብዕል።ያኀስርሂ፡ወያከብር፡ዘያነሥኦ፡እምድር፡ለነዳይ።ከመ፡ያንብሮ፡ምስለ፡ዓበይ[ተ]~።
\end{amharic}

\end{document}