To: "Customizing footnote markers" <xetex@tug.org>
Sent: 05 June 2011 17:25
Subject: [XeTeX] Customizing footnote markers

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the \makeatletter nonsense; it
really
isn't at the heart of your problem.  If you are getting an \hbox that
is
overfull
by over 381pt (5.27"), the numbers have all but disappeared, and the
text
appears to be cut, then John Was's suggestion that an indentation of
ten
inches might not have been what you intended may well be the cause.

My source is frenchb.ldf!
Please take a look at this piece of code from frenchb.ldf dealing with
footnotes:

\newcommand*{\dotFFN}{.}
\newcommand*{\kernFFN}{\kern .5em}
\newdimen\parindentFFN
\parindentFFN=10in
\def\ftnISsymbol{\@fnsymbol\c@footnote}
\long\def\@makefntextFB#1{\ifx\thefootnote\ftnISsymbol
                           \@makefntextORI{#1}%
                         \else
                           \parindent=\parindentFFN
                           \rule\z@\footnotesep
                           \setbox\@tempboxa\hbox{\@thefnmark}%
                           \ifdim\wd\@tempboxa>\z@
                             \llap{\@thefnmark}\dotFFN\kernFFN
                           \fi #1
                         \fi}%
\AtBeginDocument{\@ifpackageloaded{bigfoot}{}%
                 {\ifdim\parindentFFN<10in
                  \else
                     \parindentFFN=\parindent
                     \ifdim\parindentFFN<1.5em\parindentFFN=1.5em\fi
                  \fi
                  \let\@makefntextORI\@makefntext
                  \long\def\@makefntext#1{%
                     \ifFBFrenchFootnotes