On 2011-10-28 21:02, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
2011/10/28<msk...@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca>:
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, William Adams wrote:
majority of documents are created using GUI tools.   What use cases
are better served by batch mode, and in what cases is TeX used by
default because of available GUI tools refuse to play.

Large database publications. Variable data printing.

Also, anything where documents end up checked into the source control
and configuration management systems used for software development.  It's
really nice to be able to compile my TeX documents along with my code.  I
can't do that with GUI tools.

Documents being written by several people in cooperation in real time
(usually living in a versioning system)

Documents that have to be rendered from sources on several different platforms

Documents that have to be rendered from sources years later

Documents containing math

Documents created on-the-fly by a web service

Documents produced by people with motor or vision disabilities
which make it hard for them to use a WYSIWYG/GUI tool.

(I have both a motor disability and some vision difficulties,
but that shouldn't be a requirement for caring about the issue.)

BTW: is there a symmary of Xe(La)TeX/LuaTeX differences somewhere?
I can't say that I'm wild about the prospect of having to learn
another programming language on top of LaTeX to get things
working. This said I use perlTeX quite a bit, so I might have a
gain in learning Lua(TeX) all the same.

/bpj