On 11.05.2012 19:44, Bruno Le Floch wrote:
On 5/11/12, Joseph Wright<joseph.wri...@morningstar2.co.uk>  wrote:
On 11/05/2012 17:36, Tobias Schoel wrote:
Hi,

I have done a few tests with the problematic symbols in siunitx (namely
micro, ohm, angstrom, celsius, degree/arcsecond/arcminute) and different
math fonts. You'll find source and result attached. As I don't have
access to commercial fonts (which includes MS Fonts), I could only test
some of them. The results aren't overwhelming.

Is it possible and acceptable to include a package option or
sisetup-option which makes the suitable definitions? It shouldn't be
default, even when loading fontspec in xetex, but easily accessible.

Thanks

bye

Tobias

As the siunitx documents state, there are simply too many combinations
of font packages to hope to cover all of them 'out of the box' or indeed
in the documentation, especially as XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX users may be
with pdfTeX, so it cannot contain UTF-8 characters outside of the ASCII
range.

As such, I can only make general recommendations in the documentation on
what to do to print these symbols correctly when using UTF-8 engines.

I'm really no expert, but the siunitx package could include, e.g., ยต
as ^^^^00b5.  This  would not make pdftex choke when appearing in the
false branch of an engine-dependent conditional.

Could unicode-math-symbols be used? Can one load a package only dependent on engine?
\ifxetex\usepackage{unicode-math-symbols}\fi
?

Regards,
Bruno