Hi,

On 14.05.2012 21:46, Joseph Wright wrote:
On 14/05/2012 20:38, Tobias Schoel wrote:
If I understand you correctly, there are two ways, in which this
could/should be solved on package level:

1. siunitx gets an option / command whatever, which does approximately:
\ifxetex\input{other file which can include suitable unicode symbols}\fi

2. a new package "xesiunitx" is created, which does approximately:
\usepackage{siunitx}
\sisetup{definitions using suitable unicode symbols, depending on
package option}

or

\usepackage{siunitx}
\testiffonthassymbols
\sisetup{definitions using suitable unicode symbols}
\else
\sisetup{some other helpful definitions}
\fi

As I've tried to explain, there are simply too many possible
combinations to cover things for XeTeX and LuaTeX users without them
actually checking the settings they use. The best that I can do even
with pdfTeX is provide some sensible defaults, and even there there are
failure cases (for a start, any 'non-standard' font packages may well
fail to give good output).

My current approach is to be honest with XeTeX/LuaTeX users and say
'look, you are going to have to check that the font you've chosen to use
has the correct symbols available'. I am happy to consider changes, but
what I don't want to do is give the impression that it's possible to do
all of this automatically: that is not what I've found.
--
Joseph Wright
Maybe you missunderstood me. That shouldn't be a feature request to the siunitx-package. It was more of a general question.

But what you said seems to indicate to me, that it would be more sensible to create my own package "xesiunitx", which solves the problem for my situation. As I only use open fonts, there aren't so many possibilities, and even for arbitrary fonts, one might only check for the "best" solutions and else uses siunitx' fallbacks.