Why would xdvipdfmx think the Nikosh font is not embeddable, when it's
ok with the Scheherazade?  Is it looking at some other field?  I don't
think it's reading the entire license agreement :-).

Indeed. :)

I'd expect it to be looking at the fsType field in the OS/2 table:

  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/os2.htm#fst

However, that should allow it to be embeddable. Maybe it's getting confused because Nikosh has the (relatively rare, I think) "No subsetting" flag set there? (Just a guess.)

Sounds like it'd be worth filing a bug report on this, as it certainly looks like incorrect behavior. Perhaps Jiang or Khaled would have time to track down exactly what's happening here.

JK