Carlos Franke wrote:

[Apostolos Syropoulos's suggestion]
would be a neat workaround. However it doesn't compile on my
system either. Running "xelatex temp2.tex" (temp2.tex being Apostolos'
code, only with Minion Pro replaced with another font as I don't have
Minion Pro installed) I get a similar error as before:

I am likely making some very basic mistake. I would be grateful for any
hint.

Be that as it may, I am wondering: Should xelatex ideally work with the
font name "Jost*" like it does with "Minion Pro" and others? Or should
people (and programs like pandoc) who want to produce xelatex-
compatible LaTeX code with the Jost* fonts use the syntax proposed by
Apostolos?

I can see no reason why XeLaTeX users of "Jost*" should be forced to use a work-around.  As the font "Jost*" can be successfully loaded and used with XeTeX, the problem should be reported to the authors of the "fontspec" and "LaTeX2e" packages, as it is probable that the problem lies solely therein.

/Philip Taylor/