On 20/09/2022 17:36, Jonathan Kew wrote:

Have you compared other engines? My TL installation is woefully out-of-date, but with the versions I have on hand, I see similar behavior in tex/pdftex/luatex.

No, I confess that I haven't, Jonathan — XeTeX is the only engine I ever use, and has been for much of its existence.  But David C. has identified the feature as emanating from the "Kpath..." library, so it will indeed be common to all TeX Live engines at least, and perhaps others as well.  David also reports that it is possible to turn this undesirable feature off, something I shall investigate shortly.

--
/** Phil./