Title: RE: [XFree86] startx problems.

seeing that, i rembert that it reached the list for the last time.
its just that i assumed someone does know a better answer than mine.

> I did a startx.  This time I got something.
> I'm not sure what it was, but it wasn't my pretty interface
> before the binary install.  It a "desktop" for lack of a
> better term.  It
> had a clock (hard to read, but analog format).  It had two
> terminal windows
> with dark backgrounds and one terminal window with a light
> background.  exiting the light one exits everything.

sounds like "twm" - a quite slim but useable window manager.
not much of the decoration of some KDE, Gnome or fvwm.
the applications that you do see are listed for startup
in some file on your PC.

> 1) How do I get my pretty interface back (GNOME)?  I tried switchdesk
> GNOME, but I got the same stuff.

seems your default window manager does not start anymore.
thats not really an X11 problem, but an administration question.

with "kde" or something like "startgnome" it would work
on my SuSE installations. for RedHat i am lost, right now.

> 2) Must I always reboot after I stop a startx?  If I don't I
> just get a blank screen.

no - normal operation would be:
* startx
* wait until window manager is ready
* do what you want
* press ctrl-alt-backspace or shut X down by some window manager menu.

your description is a bit puzzled, i dont get what you really seeing.
maybe its an occassional lockup of your system, maybe not.

> Please help!  Any answer to any of these questions will be welcome.
> -g
>
> To Do:  Get GNOME back.  Get startx to restart without a reboot.  Get
> correct drivers in place.

aha?

-Alex.