On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Eric Christopherson wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 08:21:10PM -0800, Oisin C. Feeley wrote:
>I find it extremely helpful to run a kernel compiled with 'Magic SysRq'
>enabled. That way, I can hit alt-SysRq-K (yes, all three at once) to kill
>everything running on the current virtual terminal, such as the X server. I
>have to do that occasionally when it won't respond to ctrl-alt-backspace or
>anything. However, you do need it enabled in the kernel.

Good point.  That's probably the best way for the OP to go if he gets
into the lockup again.  On the other hand this will mean that he has to
recompile his kernel.  (Still, no harm in starting some time!).

>> If, for some weird reason,
>> you don't want to do that then you could shut the whole machine down
>> (ugh!) by doing a Ctrl-Alt-Del twice.  That is the equivalent of
>> Microsofts three-finger salute.
>
>Odd... what does hitting it *twice* do? I've never heard of such a thing.

<snip>

I'm not sure.  I shouldn't really have said it, except that my
experience with a non-responding Savage4 installation was that it seemed
to be the only thing that worked.  A single Ctrl-Alt-Del seemed to be
ignored, but twice rapidly in succesion worked.  So, really it's
bullshit folklorish advice and you are correct that it is odd and that
the best thing to do would be enable Magic SysRq.

Oisin Feeley