Around 16 o'clock on Feb 16, Jeremy Buhler wrote:

> I can get fontconfig to do this for me, but the resulting non-antialiased
> fonts are rendered noticeably worse by Xft than by the core X rendering
> engine with the "freetype" module.

The 4.2 version of "freetype" uses FreeType 1 which enables the TrueType
byte code hinting engine which dramatically improves the quality of the
resulting images.  Xft (and XFree86 4.3 "freetype") use FreeType 2 which
disables this by default over patent concerns.  You can easily recompile
Freetype2 to include the bytecode interpreter if US patents aren't a
concern for you.  That should make Xft and "freetype" generate identical
results.

In your freetype source directory, look in include/freetype/config/ftoption.h
for TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER

-keith