Hi,

I just discovered that on knoppix debian-on-cd all works fine and very
fast (glxgears give 1.2kfps!!!):

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ XFree86 -version

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and patches submitted
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

***************************

XFree86 Version 4.2.1.1 (Debian 4.2.1-4 20021123003806
[EMAIL PROTECTED]) / X Window System
Release Date: 18 October 2002
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.18 i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present

So what's going on here, they use even older version that I HAD (I used
your patches)...? So maybe the problem can be fixed more elegantly
without the mesa patches?  What am I doing wrong? Now, after the patches
I get very slow results and the windows system slows down...

regards,
Dominik