On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 22:53, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:
>
> >This is a cool bug!
> >
> >I have ATI AiW 128 Pro 16 Mb card with TV-out. This is a Page 128 Pro PF
> >chip, I belive. I get no output on display when I start xfree86
> >with TV plugged in. Everything works without TV.
> >
> >Let's be fair, switching to virtual console works and I can do work there,
> >so it's not a complete freeze or crush - just no signal in graphics mode
> >with TV in.
> >
> >Let's be fair once more, Windows 98 also behaves funny. Plugging in TV
> >halves the refresh rate or something. Sort of, the card splits the signal
> >into two outputs, to TV and to the monitor, but at least I get the signal.
> >TV requires 800x600 at 60 Hz signal; without TV I get 120 Hz on the monitor
> >at the same resolution.
> >
> >Mike, as far as Red Hat 8.0.94 goes, anaconda fails to recognize the card
> >properly when the TV is plugged in. I recognizes it as Rage 128, instead of
> >Rage 128 Pro. Then, graphical installation doesn't work, etc. Without
> >TV everything works like a magic.
>
> Hmm.  That is weird because our autodetection tools are keyed of
> PCI ID.  Every PCI ID has one driver assigned to it only, and
> when that ID is detected, the driver name is looked up in
> pcitable, and then the driver selection looked up in the Cards
> database.
>
> I can't imagine why you would see Rage 128 one time and Rage 128
> Pro another time.  Doesn't make much sense to me.  One thing
> though, is that the name is just cosmetic anyway.  Any Rage 128
> anything chip, get's ultimately assigned to the "r128" driver, so
> you can manually pick any random Rage128 chip instead of using
> autodetection, and you'll end up with a possibly misnamed card
> name in your config file, but with an otherwise identical
> configuration.
>
> Your problem is indeed interesting though.  Could you put logs
> and configs somewhere to have a peek at.  The logs might show
> some clues.
>
> Thanks,
> TTYL

I had exactly the same problem except I didn't tie the two things
together, tv plugged in and lose of x. My previous old monitor showed a
screen but it was really distorted like the the refresh rate had gone
haywire. My new 17" monitor flashes up a dialog to say "refresh out of
range, 25hz" or words to that effect.

Tony