On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 22:24, B. Levin wrote:
> I figured it out.
>
> first, ensure you have agp in the kernel, as:
>
>    device          agp
>
> then the xf86config should be like:
>
>    http://www.grateful.net/XF86Config-freebsd
>
> and finally, and perhaps the most important, the freebsd 4.7/4.8 ports
> collection of mga_drv.o (etc) are BAD and don't work! ;-(  I used the
> mgadrivers-2.0.tgz file from the matrox site instead, and even though they
> 'seem' to be linux drivers, they work fine on freebsd!  move them to
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers and then startx.
>
> that's what did it for me.  I now have xinerama working on freebsd
> just like it did on linux ;-)  even the usb scroll mouse works.  happy.

Apparently you do need the ddx module from matrox, not just the hal
module, for the hal module to work properly.  I had removed the building
of the matrox ddx module based on my understanding that the XFree
distributed source worked fine with the hal, which was wrong.  The ideal
thing would be if someone could figure out what the important changes
are in the matrox version compared to the xfree86 one so we could just
make a patch.

Another alternative would be to make an mga_driver port like the
nvidia_driver port that built and installed the necessary parts as
alternative drivers.  People could install it if they chose and wouldn't
require flags in the XFree86-Server port, which I'm not a fan of.

Note that for now, building/installing of the matrox distributed drivers
has been removed from the 4.3 ports.

--
Eric Anholt                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         [EMAIL PROTECTED]