Thanks so much for your attention!

have tried what u suggest, but unfortutely startx won't work when i do
that.

I even called Sony (Sony doesn't support but sugested that mebbe someone
had written a patch).  I am Not sure why under rh7.3 I Could successfully
do as you say (albeit with no improvement in performance), but under rh8.0
startx crashes.

redhat-config-xfree86 log is attached, included on
ftp.evl.uic.edu/pub/OUTgoing/mgolter/xfree/