Philippe Moutarlier wrote:
I configured my dual head setup on my laptop using an SiS 650 chipset.
However, since the VGA is the primary, it seems that I either have to :

- have the VGA monitor on at boot time
- set ForceCRT1

The first case is obviously not very practical for a laptop since the only monitor I am sure to have on is the LCD.

The second case is not very good either : it actually starts the second
screen in any case and seem to use a wealth of computer resources even the monitor is not present. Furthermore, running Gnome on both screen in that configuration brings the panel of the VGA screen on top of the LCD one (I don't know why, though !!???).

Would there be a way to autodetect if CRT1 is present, and THEN, turn on
dual head ? Or make Xfree not scream if CRT1 is not present and just
disable its screen instead of exiting with an error ?

No. But you could make more than one ServerLayout sections and choose among them.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria