Another option that worked for a radeon user I was helping, was to set
up the video chip in mergedfb mode initally with crt1 forced on or with
the monitor attached.  then use xrandr to resize the frame buffer on
the fly.  so if you have two 1024x768 heads set up the initial
framebuffer as 2048x768 then use xrandr to resize to 1024x768.  if you
plug in the monitor rerun xrandr and change back to 2048x768.  this
only works in mergedfb mode and may not work on sis (I don't know that
any one has tried it).  Also you must start with a 2048x768 frambuffer.
 xrandr cannot resize up if you start out with a 1024x768 framebuffer.
while this may work, this case was not taken into account when xrandr
or mergedfb were written so YMMV.

Alex

----------------------

Philippe Moutarlier wrote:
> I configured my dual head setup on my laptop using an SiS 650
chipset.
> However, since the VGA is the primary, it seems that I either have to
:

> - have the VGA monitor on at boot time
> - set ForceCRT1
>
> The first case is obviously not very practical for a laptop since the

> only monitor I am sure to have on is the LCD.
>
> The second case is not very good either : it actually starts the
second
> screen in any case and seem to use a wealth of computer resources
even
> the monitor is not present. Furthermore, running Gnome on both screen

> in that configuration brings the panel of the VGA screen on top of
the
> LCD one (I don't know why, though !!???).
>
> Would there be a way to autodetect if CRT1 is present, and THEN, turn
on
> dual head ? Or make Xfree not scream if CRT1 is not present and just
> disable its screen instead of exiting with an error ?

No. But you could make more than one ServerLayout sections and choose
among them.

Thomas