Ok I must be doing something wrong because when I try to compile programs, the config files can't find X. Even though it's installed and I can startx.

Here's what I did. I installed debian with the base system and only C development software. Then compiled my kernal v2.4.21. Then I tried install the binaries 4.3.0 for my system, but X wouldn't start at all. It seemed like not all the files were being installed in the /etc/X11 directory. So i installed the X from debian cds, then 4.3.0 and it starts fine. Next I wanted to installed the nvidia drivers. I got the 2 tar files, Kernel and GLX. They installed fine, so I edit my config but X couldn't load the modules. It seems I can't get my X installed properally. Anyway I went with the default driver "nv" instead of "nvidia"(the one that should work) and installed kde. I'm not sure exactlly how to get kde to boot up without starting X first. Because I don't get the kde login, I get the X login, and kde is started in X.

With not X on my system at all, what is the best method of installation? Should I compile the sources?

Thanks.