You probably need to set the clock rate higher in /etc/X11/XF86Config
I know my nasty SiS 5598 video card (when it wants to work for me)
produces a real blurry picture at 20.0, as compared to a much clearer
one at 36.0. I've just ordered a Radeon video card so I will be able
to finally rest at night knowing my system won't randomly crash
when I startx. In XF86Config, look for your particular resolution
listing, and after (for example) it says "800x600" 38.5    change
that 38.5 higher, keeping in mind to keep the number within the
specs of your video card...  or try xf86cfg, xvidtuner, etc...
Hopefully that will help...