On Sat, 2000-07-01 at 16:49, hy0 wrote:
> Please double check the sync ranges specified for your external CRT:
>     HorizSync  50-90
>     VertRefresh 60
> For 60 Hz refresh, HorizSync is too high for the three modes listed in you
> config file (they need 48.4, 37.9 and 31.5 respectively).
>
> Regards,
> Hui

Thanks for the advise. However, when I set the HorizSync to something
lower, the CRT fails to initialize. It is a unknown monitor. It has no
brand identifier on it anywhere that I can see. With the HorizSync set
as it is the CRT will always come on.

The problem I am fighting is that the CRT is displaying a clone of the
primary display. According to everything that I have read it should be
able to use xinerama to make one big desktop. But I have been unable to
actually get anything but a cloned display (it does not help to only see
what I am doing twice ;)). I have read that dri and xinerama do not work
well with each other. This is perfectly fine with me since dri is not
supported for my chipset anyway.

Right now I am at a total loss as to what approach I should take. It
seems as if there should be something I have to do to tell X to display
a seperate screen on the external monitor (I thought that Xinerama would
do this) instead of cloning the primary display.

The only thing that I am sure of right now is that the Windows (ms)
could display on the external monitor in a xinerama style, but I would
rather have only one screen with gnu/linux+xfree+gnome than proper dual
support from ms. I like my gnu tools better. :)

Regards,

Brandon