Rich Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Whenever I startx the virtual consoles all disappear (No video
> signal);  but the server runs fine on tty7.   When I exit the server I
> have no  consoles.
>
> The only way I've found to restore the consoles is to reboot the
> machine--which is frustrating.
>
> Machine: Dell Precision 410
> Video: Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro.
> OS:  Debian Woody

I have one of those cards, and it works fine with XFree86 4.3.0 in
linux 2.5.68.  The only quirk I've noticed is that when switching back
to a text console, some colors have been modified.  It never bothered
me much, so I haven't dug into it.

Do you have something strange in your XF86Config?

One possible workaround could be to use the framebuffer console.

--
Måns Rullgård