That was it.

The problem lay in how the Frame buffer was driven. Three mods were required to get it to work properly
1. new kernel as spec'd in http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.5
2. declare the fb device to lilo as spec'd in http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.5
3. enable "UseFBDev" in Device section of XF86Config-4 (see glint and fbdevhw pages).

--rich