On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 09:16:17PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth writes:
>  > Actually, the address for Mr Bateman on the appropriate page seems to be
>  > dead, I was hoping that either my list posting might drag him out, or that
>  > Egbert might forward.
>
> David has other obligations that don't allow him to support the C&T
> driver at the moment.

Rog.  No problem.

>  > > It is worth trying 4.3.0 if you haven't already, or even something more
>  > > recent by downloading the XFree86 server and relevant module binaries
>  > > from Alan's page (www.xfree86.org/~alanh).
>  >
>  > Ok, I was wondering -- it's apparently a real pain to get 4.3 RPM's for 7.3
>  > (which is the largest thing I can comfortably run on my laptop); Mike isn't
>  > building for that anymore, and no one else is either... and compiling all of
>  > X on a P-233... well, I wouldn't even wish that on me.
>
> I have made a patch now which takes care of some of the problems.
> I cannot fix the artefacts that appear in the video overlay once
> the video source has a certain size. I assume that this is a
> limitation in the HW somewhere.

Note, as I mentioned, that this was happening even in non-zoom mode; one
source file was 320x200, and still have problems, another 640x480, likewise.

> I can send you a binary for 4.3. however I assume that this will
> not work for the version of XFree86 that was shipped with RH 7.3.

Likely not.  A binary of the driver?  IE, if I can get a 4.3 built, it will
drop in?  Sure.

>  > I guess I'll try to setup a build machine.
>  > Course, it'll probably take me a month to figure out how to build X from
>  > scratch... :-}
>
> That's easier than you think.
> 1. You get the tree.
> 2. You change into the to directory. Assuming the tree is in your
>    home:
>    cd ~/xc
> 3. You start the build:
>    make World
> 4. You have some coffee.
> 5. Build is done.
>
> For more information please check xc/INSTALL-X.org

Does it build that cleanly these days?  No pre-req hell?

Cool.

That's from the distribution, right; not cvs?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
        -- Simon Slavin, on a.f.c