On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 04:07:42PM -0700, Andrew Rothbart wrote:
>Hi everyone, I'm a linux newbie trying to sort out some problems with XFree.
>
>I am running XFree 4.3 under the Mandrake 9.1 distribution.  My video
>card is a SiS 630 onboard. I'm not sure how much background history I
>should give, so I'll be on the safe side and give tons.

It's always good to first clearly state the problem. In addition to
all the details, in this case your XF86Config-4 is broken after you
install the sys rpm.  The other _very_important_ thing to do is study
and provide the log. eg /var/log/XFree86.0.log

It sounds like you have a few problems, but none of them could really be
solved by reinstalling your OS. The first thing I would consider is what
is in that rpm. try 'rpm -qpl ./xsis.rpm' at least then you can see what
files are being replaced when you install it. The other thing to do is
backup your existing XF86Config-4 file before you do anything. You are
getting some error about a broken config, that's what need fixing.

if your X server doesn't support your hardware, I would recommend
compiling XFree86 from source before installing some 3rd party rpm.
With debian, I needed these packages to build x (in addition to the
base install) "binutils bison cpp cpp-2.95 flex g++ g++-2.95 gcc
gcc-2.95 libc6-dev libncurses5-dev libpam0g-dev libpng2 libpng2-dev
libstdc++2.10-dev make zlib1g-dev" they might have slightly different
names under Mandrake.

First extract the newest stable version (have a lot of disk space, it's
big), eg:

#tar xzvf X430/X430src-1.tgz
#tar xzvf X430/X430src-2.tgz
#tar xzvf X430/X430src-3.tgz
#tar xzvf X430/X430src-4.tgz # xc/fonts/
#tar xzvf X430/X430src-5.tgz # xc/fonts/scaled/
#tar xzvf X430/X430src-6.tgz # xc/doc/specs/
#tar xzvf X430/X430src-7.tgz # xc/doc/hardcopy/

then edit this file: xc/config/cf/site.def
so these lines look like this:

#ifndef HasGcc2
#define HasGcc2 YES
#endif

ie no c language "/* comment delimenators */" around that part.

then compile and install:

# su - root
$ cd xc/
$ make World && make install && echo "no problems"

don't be surprised if that command takes 4 hours....

it will install the xfree binaries over any existing binaries you have.

be sure this '/usr/X11R6/lib' is in /etc/ld.so.conf

now run the command "ldconfig" to update your kernel library cache file.

here's the tough part. produce by whatever means possible, a correct
XF86Config-4 file. try to startx, if it doesn't work look at the log
file and focus on the problem, don't start over. :-)

one last tip, don't leave any old XF86Config-4 files around, always
rename them something like XF86Config-4-almost-worked, least they be
spotted and used by Xfree when you think another config is being used.
this will happen if you have a /root/XF86Config-4 but you are expecting
some XF86Config-4 in /etc/ to be parsed.

-- unfortunatly I won't be available to follow up. :-\

Cheers,
// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]