One thing I would try is adding the 'noapic' perameter to your kernel at boot. Either to your grub.conf or lilo.conf depending on whether your using lilo or grub to boot linux. Just add the word noapic to the end of the line that says something like:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro /dev/hda1

for example, here's the line from my grub.conf

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/1 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi pci=noacpi noapic

I don't know if the pci=noacpi helps or not, but it probably won't hurt. apic and acpi tend to be broken, especially on cheaper mobos (then again I've got an nforce2 from asus and while not expensive, it wasn't cheap either). I had the same problem with nothing working untill I tried this. Soon as I did, sound, video, cd writer, network and just about everything else that didn't work started working.

After that you can try running 'XFree86 -configure' from a strait command line to have it auto detect your hardware. (You might need to do something like 'killall X' to shut down the X server and then ctr-alt-f1 to get to a console).

Also, and I hate to say this, Mandrake 9.1's installer is flaky as hell. Sometimes I'll have to run it 3 or 4 times before it both detects my hardware correctly and doesn't crash at some point. There's a good chance it misdetected your hardware. Try running the Mandrake control center's hardware tool and letting it re-detect things. Seems to work better post install.